Friday, February 25, 2011

Weekend Trip #4- Andalucia Part 3

Even though Granada is known primarily for La Alhambra, there are other unique aspects of the southern city. As we made our way down from La Alhambra into the heart of the city, we got to see the beautiful sunset and the city's luminescent skyline.




Whereas Consuegra is known for the windmills, Sevilla for its pottery, and Cordoba for La Mezquita, apparently Granada's claim to fame is its graffiti. I've seen a lot of graffiti here, but the artwork in Granada is the BEST that I've seen in all of Spain.


Probably the best graffiti portrait ever









I really like graffiti that explains its presence

Because Granada has had so many Arabic and Moorish influences over several centuries, it's only appropriate that there are lingering Moorish markets and spice markets scattered in the city. Other than seeing La Alhambra, the only things I wanted to find were the Moorish markets and spice markets. I wanted to see the pretty colors and be surrounded by the smells of incense and exotic spices, and after searching, we found both. Result!






A tea market that was around the corner from the spice market. The baskets of tea smelled SO good that I wanted to buy some just so that I could remember the smell of Granada when I returned home.

Federico Garcia Lorca
This is one of Spain's most famous poets and literary geniuses. One of the only good things that came out of taking Spanish 4/5 with Ms. McGee in high school was not only the telenovelas, but reading Lorca. After reading his play "La Casa de Bernarda Alba", as well as his poetry about the Spanish Civil War (like "La Cogida y la Muerte"), I was in love. His writing is full of such raw emotion and pain that ever since I read "Bernarda Alba", I've re-read it every year. Granada happens to be his birthplace, and if I had more time during the trip, I would have visited the Lorca museum.

No comments: