Saturday, March 12, 2011

Week 10, OR, How I Knock Off a Couple Pieces of Architecture on the "Must See Before You Die" Lists

March 6
Pilar's paella con mariscos (seafood) is to die for!

March 7
Sorry for the boring picture, but I want to make sure that I remember what it's like waiting for the #8 bus every Sunday and Monday when I'm back in the States and complaining about gas prices. At least then I'll have a car and I won't have to deal with some of the surly bus drivers who love to park their bus in the middle of the street and jump out to have a conversation with their friends for a couple of minutes when I'm already running late.

March 8
How to describe this? We were playing around in H&M and found these awesome purses, so of course we had to document our finds. Let's be honest: life with me is ALWAYS an adventure. And now I'll just go and eat a slice of humble pie.

March 9
Zaragoza's Catedral and main plaza. I loved this cathedral because is was so different than any other cathedral I've seen so far in Spain. Unlike most cathedral's, the interior of this one was completely Neo-Classical. I started getting butterflies of excitement as I walked around and realized that when I go to Paris I'm going to see a whole lotta Neo-Classical and Rococo art and architecture, which made me giddy the rest of the afternoon.

March 10a
Gaudi's La Segrada Familia (The Holy Family) Nativity facade
I can't even start to describe to you the beauty of this building. Gaudi's architectural genius is astounding and so impressive that this cathedral may blow every other cathedral I've seen out of the water. This is the famous Nativity facade that depicts several frescoes of Christ's life as well as incorporates nature all throughout the facade. Simply put, I was blown away when I saw this.

March 10b
Gaudi's La Sagrada Familia Passion Facade
The lesser-known facade that focuses more on simplicity and Cubism. Despite its simplicity, this is still a powerful facade full of images of Christ's life.

March 11
The highlight of today was putting my feet in the Mediterranean ocean! Although it was ridiculously overcast and cold, the water was a LOT warmer than the Bay of Biscay--so warm that my feet didn't go numb, which is what I call progress!

March 12
Gaudi's Guell Park
This park is so beautiful and reminiscent of Alice in Wonderland and/or Candyland with its fantastical architecture.

No comments: