Saturday, May 16, 2009

Sharon Creech

Sharon Creech

Website: www.sharoncreech.com
Books Written: Absolutely Normal Chaos, Bloomability, The Castle Corona, Chasing Redbird, Granny Torrelli Makes Soup, Hate that Cat, Heartbeat, Love that Dog, Pleasing the Ghost, Replay, Ruby Holler, Walk Two Moons, The Wanderer
Notable Awards:
For Absolutely Normal Chaos: 100 Best Books for Reading and Sharing in 1995 (New York Public Library), YALSA Popular Paperbacks for Young Adults in 2001
For Bloomability: Parenting Magazine Reading Magic Award in 1998, Chicago Public Library Best Books in 1998
For Chasing Redbird: ALA Best Books in 1997, Finalist for the Parent's Choice Award Silver Honor in 1997
For Love that Dog: Christopher Award, Claudia Lewis Poetry Award
For Ruby Holler: Carnegie Medal in 2002
For Walk Two Moons: Newbery Medal, Children's Book Award in 1995, UK Reading Association Award in 1995
For The Wanderer: Newbery Honor Award in 2001, ALA Notable Book in 2001, Christopher Award in 2001, Parent's Choice Award in 2000, Child Magazine Best Book of the Year 2000
Her Niche: A lot (if not all) of her stories deal with the coming of age of her main characters. Usually there is a big adventure for the main character that propels them into knowledge, or to say it differently, into a more enlightened and wise-end state.
Why I like her (a lot) and why I think you should too: I just love her books. They're refreshing and highly enjoyable to read. I know that whenever I read one of her books I'll be settling down for the afternoon- the sunlight will stream through my window, I'll be perfectly comfortable in my chair, and I'll think to myself, "If only my childhood was like this...". It's interesting, but every time I read something by her I'm always reminded on my childhood and early adolescent years because her books produce a form of nostalgia that is hard to beat with any other author.
Which of her books I've read: Bloomability, Chasing Redbird, Heartbeat, The Wanderer. On a scale of 1 to 5 (5 being "This book was sent from the gods for us mere mortals to read" and 1 being "This book wouldn't even make good toilet paper") here's how they rate:
Bloomability: 5
Chasing Redbird: 5
Heartbeat: 4
The Wanderer: 4

No comments: