Monday, October 5, 2009

Tracy Chevalier

This post is hereby entitled "Why I love Tracy Chevalier". I should call it with the better title ( I suppose) of "Why I Don't Love Tracy Chevalier", which would be a shorter post and would allow me to get back to my pile of homework, but this defeats the purpose of why I'm even writing the post to begin with. So, here launches my post of why Tracy Chevalier is a FABULOUS author, and why you should like her too.

Tracy Chevalier

Website: www.tchevalier.com
Books Written: Girl with a Pearl Earring, Falling Angels, The Virgin Blue, The Lady and the Unicorn, Burning Bright, Remarkable Creatures (comes out in the US in January 2010)
Notable Awards: Barnes and Noble "Discover Great Authors" Award; plus she's always on the New York Times Bestseller list whenever one of her new books comes out
Books Adapted into Films: Girl with a Pearl Earring starring Scarlett Johansen and Colin Firth, which was nominated for Academy Awards
Her Niche: Historical fiction. She does a great job of throwing you into the time period that she's writing about. I love how real her characters seem to be, and how vivid and earthy her descriptions are. Nothing is lost through Chevalier's tellings.
Why I like her (a lot) and why you should too: You know that you've found a good book when you find yourself flipping pages without even realizing it. You know you've found a good author when you find yourself flipping pages without even knowing it in every book that you've read by said author. Chevalier is such an author. Half the time I'm reading her works, I don't even realize I'm flying through the pages. Her books are just THAT good.
Which of her books I've read: Girl with a Pearl Earring, The Virgin Blue, Falling Angels, Remarkable Creatures, The Lady and the Unicorn
On a scale of 1 to 5 (5 being "This book was sent from the gods for us mere mortals to read" and 1 being "This book wouldn't even make good toilet paper") here's how they rate:
Girl with a Pearl Earring: 5
The Virgin Blue: 5
Falling Angels: 5
Remarkable Creatures: 3
The Lady and the Unicorn: 4
Need I say more? The scores speak for themselves. Her writing has never let me down.

No comments: