Monday, March 9, 2009

A book marathon to end all book marathons

My speed reader roommate and I are having a book marathon this month. You may ask what a book marathon is, and frankly, I don't know; we kind of made it up as a pick-me-up for this month so that we can have something to look forward to each day. What we've decided to do is read as many books as we can this month (we made what we call a "batting" list- books each of us picked out for ourselves and each other to read). To get us started and fired up about it we went to the Provo library tonight and browsed the shelves for books we've read, or ones that looked good, and created our own stacks of reading material. Within our personal stacks are recommendations for each other, and 2 "required" books to read. To be a little more specific, here are the rules:
  1. We have until midnight on March 31st to read as much as we can
  2. To decide the winner of the marathon, the number of pages you read equals your points, and the one with the most points wins (obviously)
  3. You must read the 2 picked out "mandatory" books the other person chose for you from your personal stacks to be eligible to win
  4. Books that we're currently reading prior to the marathon starting count for our page count
  5. We take tallies of what we've read at the end of each week to figure out where each person is at.
  6. Prizes for the winner (most likely my roommate) will be determined at a later date
  7. (This rule is just for me) Post book reviews for each book I finish
The mandatory books I chose for my roommate to read are: From the Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler by E.L. Konigsburg, and Whirligig by Paul Fleischman. Consequently she chose Dealing with Dragons by Patricia C. Wrede, and Capt. Hook by James Hart. We'll see how things square up. I'll try to post updates weekly so you can see what form my losing takes.

No comments: